Thursday, July 31, 2008

Dyed Dress







I dyed the dress last night by squising it into a rope, twisting it and wrapping it around a pvc pipe. I used rubber bands to hold the dress on the pipe. I used a pre-mixed royal blue and squirted it on all the exposed fabric. I then let it batch until this morning when I un-twisted, hand rinsed twice and then washed and dryed the dress. The colors are a bit spotty so I will probably overdye in a semi-even way with the same dye. The already dyed areas will darked but the contrast should be more pleasing.

The picture below is an opening in the right side seam for pump tubing. With no pockets I will need something to anchor the pump, but at least I have an opening for the tubing. I will probably try a safety pin first, if that works I will then look at a permanent attachment for the pump.

3 comments:

Marji said...

JOanne, I'm fascinated by the dye process, and would love to read more blog posts about this. I'm a virgin when it comes to dying - never even did any tie-dye in the 60's.

Joanne said...

Are dye posts interesting when there are no pictures of the process? I generally don't post dye projects because I seldom take pictures of the process.

Anonymous said...

Good words.